1/30/2006

Organizing Files, IBM Aptiva

Reading articles at PC Guide dot com.
i why not to over partition the hdd
ii why not to put files it the programs directory

11:45. Then I went to O'Reilly's Onlamp.com and started reading about file organization from a unix perspective.
12:06. The guy here came up with a date based time-line filing method that doesn't suit me because my days all run together in an undifferentiated stream. One day or week being much like another.

12:54. I dropped the above line of inquiry and started trying to get pop access for my operamail account.

12:59. Bill for March 'rent' came in the mail.... Now I have run out of all the easy things to do and I think I'll go over to St Vinnies and see if they have any cheap stuff, especially computer related.

20:47. At St Vinnies I bought an IBM Aptiva model 270. It was $26 and change including tax. It has 128 MB of RAM installed with an AMD K6 400 mhz cpu. It has a dvd rom installed. I unhooked that and put in a 24x Creative cd rom that a I had just bought from the thrift store a week or two ago. Then I changed the BIOS settings so that it would boot from the cd rom. For this computer you get to the BIOS screen by pressing F1 during start-up. Then I turned it off and rebooted into Puppy Linux. From Puppy I got the Belkin ethernet nic going, hooked the ethernet cable up and got onto the internet with Mozilla. Later I'll get my ethernet router going...

21:40. Dad's getting a new head for his Mazda pick-up... 'American Experience' is on with a show about the Nuremburg trials on Channel 9...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares